Qualcomm is reportedly engaged on a Snapdragon 8cx successor — a chipset which may be present in future laptops and Chromebooks. However not like the 8cx, the brand new chip is seemingly switching up its design.
Whereas the octa-core 8cx balanced 4 efficiency cores with 4 power-saving cores, its successor will reportedly ditch the latter 4. This may give the brand new chipset eight speedy, all-performance oriented cores as an alternative.
Arguably, this is likely to be the easiest way for Qualcomm to problem its rivals, however wouldn’t it supply customers a balanced expertise? Do you assume that Qualcomm ought to sacrifice its low-power cores? In a latest ballot, we requested in your ideas. Right here’s what you advised us.
Ought to Qualcomm ditch the low energy cores from its 8cx successor?
The vast majority of the ~1,000 respondents need to see extra highly effective cores in Qualcomm’s subsequent laptop computer chipset. Just below 66% of votes are in favor of eight efficiency cores and no power-saving cores. However not everybody feels that the all-power strategy is good. 34.3% of respondents imagine that Qualcomm ought to think about using low-power cores in its chipset, too.
Notably, since particulars of the Snapdragon 8cx successor dropped, extra info on a mid-range chipset has surfaced. Basically a Snapdragon 7c successor, this chipset is rumored to characteristic 4 low-power cores. It’s doubtless that Qualcomm isn’t utterly giving up on its financial institution of low-power cores on each chipset.
In accordance with the feedback, not everybody thinks the four-four divide is the easiest way to go both.
Right here’s what you advised us
- Miguel7501: I’m unsure how effectively 2 or four A55s may deal with a desktop idling with a browser, some chat app and one other primary program open.
- Grahaman27: Effectivity cores barely take up die house. They might embody them and eight efficiency cores.
- Shizuma: If it’s meant for telephones then sure, it ought to have low energy core for battery life, although for bigger units like Chromebooks yeah, all high-performance cores could be good.
- AnySmarterIdRunLinux: Why cease at 1 socket? Mix efficiency and effectivity with multi-socket options.
- MM_Rafez: I’m selecting neither as I really feel neither is an effective possibility. Go for six cortex X1 at 3.0GHz and the two A55 core at 2.0GHz. Apart from who’s stopping you to go for eight cortex X1 + 2 cortex A55 config
That’s it for this ballot. Thanks in your votes and feedback. When you’ve got any further ideas concerning the outcomes of the ballot or Qualcomm’s designs, drop them within the feedback beneath.